Nick Igoe is a Chartered Accountant with 32 years’ post qualification experience including 27 years as finance director. Between 1997 and 2012 Nick was West Ham United’s Finance Director where his achievements included the following.
- Fund raising, including securing finance for stadium redevelopment in 2000/01.
- Managing financial strategy following relegation in 2003, culminating in the club’s return to Premier League in 2005 with significantly reduced cost base and debt.
- Maintaining financial stability of club through a succession of challenges, including ownership changes, major litigation, insolvency of club’s owner, banking crisis of 2008 and default of club’s main sponsor.
Nick resigned at the end of 2012 to become a consultant in the sports industry. Nick is able to lend his skills and experience to clubs at all levels and this experience includes the following.
- Financial strategy
- Stakeholder relations
- Financial management & reporting
- Regulatory compliance
- Tax planning & compliance
- Legal affairs
Nick also worked for a number of years in corporate restructuring and such experience might be of assistance to supporters’ trusts exploring whether they can acquire control of clubs in administration.
Since 2013, Nick has been engaged as a consultant with SD Club Development on numerous projects for supporters’ trusts aspiring to gain control of their clubs, including the successful conversion to community ownership of clubs such as Newport County, Grays Athletic, Peacehaven & Telscombe and St Mirren.
He works part time as the Finance Director for a semi-professional rugby union club, and has helped developed sports policy initiatives including the Government Expert Working Group on Supporter Ownership and Engagement.