‘Government Expert Group’ wants to hear from you…
Supporters Direct has been working behind the scenes with the DCMS and English football authorities to bring about the long awaited Expert Working Group (EWG); one of the key recommendations from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)2011 Select Committee Football Governance Inquiry.
The Expert Working Group members are;
- Supporters Direct
- Football Supporters Federation
- The Football Association
- The Premier League
- The Football League
- The Football Conference
- Portsmouth (Pompey Trust) Supporters Trust (Expert Witness member of Group)
- Swansea (Swans Trust) Supporters Trust (Expert Witness member of Group)
- Wrexham Supporters Trust (Expert Witness member of Group)
- AFC Wimbledon (The Dons Trust) Supporters Trust (Expert Witness member of Group)
The purpose of the EWG is to identify solutions to current barriers preventing greater collective supporter share ownership of football clubs, and explore the greater facilitation of supporter engagement and involvement in the governance and running of football clubs.
The first meeting of the EWG took place last month, and now an important step in the process has just been announced; a call for evidence. The call for evidence is your chance to input into the process, critically sharing your experiences and expertise in some very specific areas. The EWG are looking for:
- Expert evidence from supporter groups and from the sectors and industries involved outlining experience and opinion on which current football rules and regulations and / or statutory law create barriers to supporter ownership of football clubs;
- Ideas and opinion on any suggested changes to existing regulation or legislation which would support, sustain and incentivise greater collective supporter and community ownership of football clubs;
- Suggestions of best practice or ways to sustain and increase broader supporter engagement at football clubs in England and Wales.
To find out more, including the Terms of Reference for the group and how to submit evidence, please go to:
The call for evidence closes on January 9th and the EWG is due to produce initial recommendations in March 2015.
Keep up to date with Supporters Direct on Facebook
Follow SD on Twitter